Around my local patch I get 4 different types of owls. Barn owl, Tawny owl, Little owl and Short- eared owl.
Over the past couple of weeks both a Barn owl and two Little owls have been very visible.
Five facts about Barn owls
- Adult Barn owls mate for life
- Barn owls eat an average of 4 small mammals per night
- Female Barn owls weigh around 360g, while males weigh around 330g
- While flying it is difficult to tell male from female. Close up females have spots on their chest while males are generally all white. Females have darker brown feathers around the rim of the facial disc
- Fastest recorded speed of a Barn owl was 55mph
Five facts about Little owls
- Little owls also mate for life, they remain in their territory throughout the year
- Main prey for Little owls is invertebrates, especially moths and beetles. they will also eat small rodents and even roosting small birds.
- Little owls have an undulating flight, similar to a green woodpecker
- They are around 22 centimetres in length with a wingspan of 56 centimetres for both male and female. They weigh about 180 grams
- Little owls hunt from fence posts or run along the ground after beetles.